Friday, October 26, 2012

Review: Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm 'Red Dahlia'






A few months ago, curiosity got the best of me & I caved to purchasing a Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in the color Red Dahlia. This was only a couple of dollars, & I was excited to see how it would perform. I've used TONS of tinted lip balms (they used to be the only lip products I would use for daily wear), so I was wondering how this would compare to other ones I've tried! I'm a huge lover of red lip products, so I was also looking forward to having a new one in my collection!

The packaging did deceive me - I won't lie. I really thought the cardboard tube it comes in would be the actual lip balm tube, but it's not. Instead, it's like an outer case - because inside their is the actual lip balm tube. It's kind of like the box a present comes in, in a sense.

I'm sure you're looking at the above swatch like 'What the heck?'. Because this lip balm looks really deep & beautiful in the actual tube, but once applied to the lips it turns.....sheer. Like, REALLY sheer. Like, so sheer that I had to literally swipe three swipes of this lip balm just to get the swatch above. (Which - as you can see - is not very opaque nor pigmented.)

So, was I disappointed? Well, yeah - I would be lying if I said I wasn't. I don't know why I expected more pigment from this lip balm, I guess because I don't think I've ever had a product that promises to give tint to your lips, & then be so sheer. It wasn't a total loss, though. I really should have seen it coming because the packaging says it will give a HINT of color, not full-on pigmentation. I guess I just expected more.

One thing I do love is the texture of this balm. It's not dry or cakey or slick & greasy. It's the perfect medium!   This lip balm glides on like butter & doesn't tug or pull at the lips at all. I actually wish more lip balms had this type of texture & creaminess, because every time I wear this lip balm - I'm reminded of how much I like it & how perfect it really is.

The fragrance is also a winner to me. Pretty much every Burt's Bees lip balm I've ever used or read reviews on have had the fragrance of mint. It's kind of like an ongoing joke to people that use Burt's Bees products, we're all kind of like "Cool it with the mint!", because nearly every balm is minty, tingly,etc. I don't mind mint balms, but I don't want every balm I have to be minty. Therefore, I was pretty ecstatic to realize this lip balm is FRUITY instead of minty! Wooo hooo! This lip balm actually smells really amazing - kind of like a fruity Popsicle!

Obviously, this lip balm is 100% natural which we all expect from Burt's Bees by now. It's also filled with great ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, & sunflower oil! It is NOT vegan however, due to carmine & beeswax.

Overall, I really like this lip balm but I would like it even more if it had better pigmentation. The color is a pretty, sheer red, has a great fragrance, & it's creamy/smooth. I would like it if this lip balm was cheaper, though. $6.99 seems a little pricey to me for something that basically is just a lip balm with the tiniest bit of red added in!


12 comments:

  1. This looks really lovely, I wish it had a bit more pigmentation though! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jennie! I wish it were a bit more pigmented, too!

      Delete
  2. I was really confused when I first opened it too :D Mine's actually pretty pigmented but it's a year old...I wonder if they've changed the formula at all. I think it smells like Twizzlers :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird! Maybe they did change the formula or something! You're right - it does smell kind of like a Twizzler!

      Delete
  3. It looks really pretty, I'm not a huge red person, so this looks like something for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is pretty! I like it since if you don't love red lippies, this isn't full-on RED like a lipstick!

      Delete
  4. I thought this would be more pigmented too!! It appears not to be the case though. I love Burt's Bees lip balms in general and the one with the Pomegranate oil is by far a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that one! I've heard it's awesome! (:

      Delete
  5. I wish these were cheaper because they're quite nice! But for such a sheer lippie $7 is too much. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I kind of agree. I mean - if it were more pigmented, it might be worth it!

      Delete
  6. Love Burts Bees!

    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm yeah, but I don't love this product.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate every single one! I try to reply to every comment I get, but if you have something really urgent - email me at aly_wonderlandbeauty7@yahoo.com. Please note that I do not tolerate any mean comments, if you start something, I will finish it! :) And please - no follow for follow comments either, I don't mind if you leave your link, but note that I don't do follow for follow.