Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: Mac Melba Blush




Considering that I've never tried a MAC blush before, my blogging friend Sarah took pity on my & sent me her pan of 'Melba', since she knew I would use it more & she's trying to only use cruelty free & vegan products. (Since MAC started manufacturing in China, they are no longer considered cruelty free.) I was extremely excited to see what I would think about this blush, but in the end, it just left me feeling so-so.

I have nothing bad to say about this blush. I love the peachy color, it's not a bright in-your-face peach, more of a dusty, apricot peach - which I like. I also like the pigmentation, just a couple of swipes gives a great amount of color payoff, & you don't have to swirl your brush into this blush a million times just to pick up a bit of color. I also like the staying power, this lasts me quite a long time, but my oily cheeks always eat it up by the end of the day. But considering ALL of my blushes get eaten up by my skin issues....that's not anything I can't deal with.

So what leaves me a little let-down? The fact that this blush costs about $20 & I've heard RAVES about MAC blushes. Melba honestly isn't any better than my cheap blushes from Wet n Wild, Hard Candy, or Maybelline. And it honestly pales in comparison to some of my favorite high end blushes like Benefit Hervana, & Illamasqua Lover, too. It's just not worth the extra money for me. Plus, this is just a blush pan, not a blush in a compact. The compact blushes will lead you to be spending a few dollars more.

Are all MAC blushes like this? No, probably not. I've heard rave reviews for a lot of other colors from some of my favorite bloggers, & I'm up to trying another one. I'm not saying all MAC blushes aren't worth the money because I have no place to say that. The other colors could be awesome & holy-grail to me, Melba just...wasn't.

So, what do I think? Well, this blush isn't my favorite or anything, but I really do like it. I like the color, pigmentation, & lasting power. But the price & the fact that it's not even as good as my other pricey blushes, left me let-down. If you have the extra money & want this particular color, I'm sure you'll love Melba! But if you don't like spending the extra money, but just wonder how this product performs, I'd tell you to skip it.


14 comments:

  1. This looks like such a lovely natural blush!

    Beauty Fiends Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uuuuh it's okay, but if you read the review you would know that I was actually really let-down by it.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I've heard mixed reviews on this too actually. I own a lot of the WetnWild blushes and they really are pigmented but there's not a lot of range in the colors, so I guess people gravitate towards higher end brands that have more nuance.

    Well the colors looks good on your skintone, but for that price...thanks but no thanks lol

    Miranda M. | http://prettysquared.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree. Wet n Wild doesn't have the biggest shade range but the colors they do have really impressed me! :D

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting this blush, but read mixed reviews about it. I might just go to the my local mac counter & get them to try this on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! That way you'll be able to tell if the shade works for you & if it's worth the extra $$

      Delete
  4. I've really been lusting after this lately. I never think it looks very special in the pan but I think I'd reach for it a lot. I'm not a fan of the MAC powder blushes, I think they're okay but a little overpriced! I'd rather pay a little extra and get a NARS powder blush.

    Great post lovely & thank you for including me in your sidebar! I can email you over a picture to use if you'd like? Just let me know what size you need it to be!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - from my experience, NARS blushes are a lot better than MAC ones! Oh & I found a pic of you on your blog that I really like, if you want me to change it just email me a pic at aly_wonderlandbeauty7@yahoo.com! :)

      Delete
  5. So sad to read that it is not that okay but I really like the color. Well I guess, I have to find other kinds that is worth buying for. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this blush - I just mean that it's not worth the extra money to me!

      Delete
  6. I've owned a few blushes from MAC before and tbh, they're really nothing special. I loved one that I had called "Pink swoon" but, I've since found a dupe in a Barry M one that was £5 and I love it just as much! Sometimes high-end doesn't always win! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, i agree - MAC blushes don't blow me away either - well at least, this one doesn't. And that dupe sounds awesome!

      Delete
  7. It's a nice natural blush that can be used on most skin tones. That's probably why make-up artists are raving! Otherwise, nothing super special.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate every single one! I try to reply to every comment I get, but if you have something really urgent - email me at aly_wonderlandbeauty7@yahoo.com. Please note that I do not tolerate any mean comments, if you start something, I will finish it! :) And please - no follow for follow comments either, I don't mind if you leave your link, but note that I don't do follow for follow.