Friday, November 02, 2012

Review: Tokidoki Eyeshadow 'Donutella'


A product that I have always wanted to try is the Tokidoki single eyeshadows. They have such amazing packaging, and I am a fan of the brand in general, too. A few months ago, my friend Sarah sent me a ton of makeup that she didn't want, and I was really happy to see the Tokidoki single eyeshadow in 'Donutella'. Donutella is my favorite tokidoki character because she is just so cute! She has donuts for ears and a big donut for her stomach, and she also has pink hair! The color of this eyeshadow is kind of like a coco/champagne color, it's kind of similar to the color of Urban Decay Sidecar from the Naked Palette, but it does have one major difference - the glitter. Inside of Donutella is a really, really, really hefty amount of glitter. When in the pan, you don't really think that the glitter will be that severe, but once you swatch it - you realize how intense it really is. Let me make this easy to understand, this eyeshadow is not just hefty on glitter; no, it is completely and totally overloaded with glitter. Obviously, that's not  a bad thing for someone that likes glittery eyeshadows. But I don't. And even if I did, the glitter in this eyeshadow is so severe that it literally falls all over my cheeks when I try to apply it, and the glitter even causes the eyeshadow to be way less blendable. I don't actually mind the occasional bit of glitter in an eyeshadow;  but this my friend - is glitter overload.

Even if you really like glittery eyeshadow, I can't recommend this eyeshadow purely because of the fact that when you try to apply it, it's a mess. The glitter goes everywhere, and it travels even more during the day. The other problem is that the glitter makes this eyeshadow super, super gritty and not smooth at all. That in turn effects how blendable this eyeshadow, the answer to that is not very blendable at all. The glitter makes the eyeshadow hard to blend, and that's just not something I want to mess with. 
 


Another huge issue for me is the pigmentation of this eyeshadow. When you swatch it, all of the pretty cocoa color of it goes away and you are left with a huge amount of glitter....and more glitter...and more glitter. I understand this is a glittery eyeshadow, but I have had so, so, SO much better quality glittery eyeshadows. I get that the glitter might overpower the color  a little bit, but this is not a little bit, it's basically NO color with a LOT of glitter! I personally don't like that in an eyeshadow.

The one good thing I can list about this eyeshadow is the packaging, it's a really cute skull and crossbones with a heart for a head. Inside of the eyeshadow, the actual eyeshadow pan is smaller than I would expect for an expensive eyeshadow, but you still get  a decent amount. I also like that the compact opens easily and doesn't require you to ruin your manicure just to open it.


I absolutely can not recommend this eyeshadow. Yes, the packaging is cute but that's the only good thing about this product. The color totally washed away when I swatched this shadow and the only thing left was glitter. The glitter travels everywhere through out the day (cheeks, under eyes, etc.) and made the eyeshadow so much less blendable. The color is pretty but when swatched, you can't even see the color anymore. Just glitter, and lots of it.

I would save your money - and not buy this eyeshadow. I'm not sure about the other colors, but Donutella was a total miss for me.

10 comments:

  1. Shame, i've seen tokidoki products and they do look super cute even if its just for the packaging, but figured the quality may not be so great >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree. Some of their products really are great quality, but this just wasn't a winner for me.

      Delete
  2. Aw i'm gutted about this product. It looks really pretty... but I always think that products which really nice packaging usually aren't that great.

    LaceyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would pass because although it might have good packaging, once applied it is way to glittery.

      Delete
  3. I was so close from buying this eyeshadow ... (----_---- " )
    I'm glad I didn't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I think you would be really let-down with it.

      Delete
  4. Hmm it's too bad that its so glittery. Thank you for your great review, I appreciate your honesty!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bree! I wish it wasn't as glittery, either!

      Delete
  5. the packaging looks really cute.. shame that its a glitter bomb!

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree. Even if it was good quality & glittery, it still wouldn't be for me!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate every single one! I try to reply to every comment I get, but if you have something really urgent - email me at aly_wonderlandbeauty7@yahoo.com. Please note that I do not tolerate any mean comments, if you start something, I will finish it! :) And please - no follow for follow comments either, I don't mind if you leave your link, but note that I don't do follow for follow.