Sunday, December 30, 2012

The 100 Day Challenge : Completed

Oh yes, last Thursday, December 27 was my last day on this no-buy challenge, and I can honestly say that I have done it! I started this challenge on September 16th, when I made THIS introduction post.  I've completed it with flying colors, and stayed under my total of $15. So, what was the lasting impact for me?

Well, when I first began this challenge I honestly thought that it wouldn't be something I could complete. It just seemed so hard, especially for a beauty blogger like me! To not by more than $15 worth of beauty products within the span of 100 days just didn't seem possible to me. BUT, over the course of the challenge, I realized what kind of willpower I really COULD have if I set my mind to it. I kept myself away from new releases, drugstores, and the makeup aisles in Target. I steered clear of the mall so I didn't have to face walking by Sephora, and if a new product came out - I acted as if  I didn't ever hear about it. Buying products was on the backburner, because as time went on - I really, really wanted to finish this challenge. At first, it seemed impossible, but as I got to 30,40, even just 50 days in - I started to believe maybe I COULD do this challenge.

So, has this challenge completely changed me? Yes and no. Yes because I realized half of the things I was wanting were not things that I really needed or would really enjoy THAT much at all, so I treated myself to a tablet and to an iPod touch, because those things are things I will always enjoy. No because I know that now that this challenge is over, I have like, the hugest craving ever to go shopping and buy the things I've been avoiding for the past 3 and a half months. It feels like forever since I wandered into Walgreens and aimlessly filled my basket up with the best and newest products. It's been too long, my friend. This challenge has helped me to decipher between things I will actually use (ex. iPod) and things I won't use that much (ex. the newest lipstick). I'm still going to buy a lot of makeup like always, and I'll probably regret purchases, too. But this challenge has helped me see the line between things I will actually use, and things I think are just kind of petty and bought on an impulse.

Each week, I made an update with a wishlist of things I wanted. Below, are the items featured in each wishlist and a link to each update post.

Update # 1 (September 23)  - Urban Decay Vice Palette, MUA Undressed Palette, Maybelline Barely Beige Color Tattoo, and MAC Viva Glam VI Lipstick.

Update #2 (September 30)  - Benefit High Flyin' Lip Gloss Set, Chanel Perfection Lumiere, MAC Scarlet Ibis Lipstick, and elf Lip Exfoliator.


Update #3 (October 7) - Fyrinnae Ghost Kiss Lip Lustre, Benefit I'm Glam Therefore I Am, and another kitty. (I've come to the conclusion that instead of buying another cat, I should just give more love to my two cats :) I love them both so much, but I do still miss Buddy of course).

Update #4 (October 14) - Nuxe Reve de Meil lip balm, LORAC Pro Palette, Fyrinnae Velveteen Wolf eyeshadow, Lorac Sweet Temptations, Maybelline Barely Beige Color Tattoo, OCC Lip Tar Set, Benefit Watts Up,  and Wet n Wild Nail in a Coffin Nail Polish

Update #5 (October 21) - Shiro Cosmetics line, Dior Jungle Palette, Urban Decay Smoked Palette, Bioderma, and Chanel Rouge Coco Magnolia Lipstick.

Update #6 (October 28) - MAC Hue Lipstick, Benefit Dallas Lip Gloss, and Benefit Watts Up highlighter

Update #7 (November 4) - Benefit Watts Up, Muji Organizer, iPod touch, MAC Turquatic, Lorac Pro Palette, Urban Decay Vice Palette, MAC Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skin Finish.

Update #8 (November 11) - Sephora Draw the Line Set, iPod touch, Benefit Sexy Stowaway, and Benefit High Flyin'.

Update #9 (November 17) -  LORAC Pro palette, iPod touch, Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm, Benefit Benetint, OCC Lip Tar set, and Sephora Draw the Line.

Update #10 (November 25) - iPod Touch, Muji Organizer, Lorac Pro Palette, Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm, and Benefit High Flyin' Lip gloss set.


Update #11 (December 1) - iPod Touch, Naked Basics palette, OCC Lip Tar set, Muji Organizer, Benefit High Flyin' lip gloss set, Nuxe Reve De Miel lip balm, and Sephora Draw the Line.

Update #12 (December 9) - Lorac Pro Palette, iPod Touch, and Nuxe Reve de Miel.

Update #13 (December 16) - Benefit Fine One One, Lorac Pro Palette, Benefit High Flyin' Lip Gloss, Betsey Johnson Too Cute Set, and Benefit World Famous Neutrals

Update #14 (December 23) - Taylor Swift Wonderstruck, Benefit Dandelion Lip Gloss, Dr. Jart BB Cream,  Benefit Watts Up, Urban Decay Mariposa Palette.

I realize probably no one actually read all that or even wanted to, but my point was to show you the things that I wanted for just a week or two, compared to the things I wanted pretty much all through the challenge. The things I still like and want to get are below; yes, I really did limit ALL of the above products down to just the following four. Four. FOUR!


Yeah that's it, after all of the weeks of endless hoping and lusting after products, these four are the only things I currently even want. Taylor Swift Wonderstruck, Nuxe Reve de Meil, Benefit Watts up, and Benefit Fine One One. Wow.

If you're contemplating doing this challenge, I'll warn you that it's tough. BUT, if you can do it - you feel super, super proud of yourself! I've already started picking up things here and there (nothing crazy) to reward myself. I did  have a few friends that sent me goodies and I won a few giveaways, so those things helped me through the urge to buy things! Once again, I've realized how awesome the blogging community is, and I can't thank you all enough for the support and the things you have sent me, to push me through this challenge. 

If you are wanting to do this challenge - I think you should. The only thing holding you back is yourself, and that is the honest to god truth. If you can dig deep to find your willpower, believe in yourself, and push through 100 days without useless buying, than you can do this challenge! It's not easy, but it's so, so worth it! Overall, I can say this challenge was  a huge success!

Please don't forget to leave me a comment and subscribe! You can also click the links below! :) 

Follow me on: ♥ Tumblr Twitter  ♥ Facebook ♥ Instagram @ AlyWB ♥ BlogLovin'

18 comments:

  1. That is so awesome!!! :D Congrats!! I liked reading your wish list and seeing it evolve over the weeks. It's amazing how fleeting some of the things we want are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashesela! I agree, sometimes something is almost on our wishlist as an impulse, other things we actually REALLY want!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the 100 days, that is amazing! The NUXE lip balm is really good, I hope you can try it out now that your spending ban is over!

    xx Ellie
    www.ellalogy.com 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I really want the NUXE lip balm, I just want to try and find it as cheap as possible!

      Delete
  3. Well done on completing the challenge. I have just started a spending ban, I haven't set a time scale but seeing other people can do it is definitely giving me faith that I might be able to as well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know you can do it, you just have to really set your mind to it and don't give up!

      Delete
  4. Well done on completing the challenge! I'm doing a 100 day spending ban from 15th January - scared!!

    http://jo-beautyandthebooks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! Don't be scared, I'm sure you can do it! Just really set your mind to it, and don't give in to anything! The biggest advice I can tell you is to do it for yourself, not for anyone else. I wanted to impress my friends/family (who all know me as a huge shopper) but as time went on, I realized I really just wanted to do the challenge to prove to myself that I could! xo

      Delete
  5. Well done! I'm putting myself on a spending ban for three months starting January 1st.

    http://skinstuffbykaty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks katy! Good luck!! I'm sure you'll be able to do it! Just really set your mind to it, and don't even think about giving up! x

      Delete
  6. Congratulation on completing t your challenge, that is a true achievement and something to be proud of. I really enjoyed reading this post, especially what you have learnt form it, and it's also interesting to see how the things you want at a time, soon disappear from our minds and are replaced by a new longing. Could you imagine how much money your would of spent if you did buy everything lol :D

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat :) I really am proud of it, and I think that I really did learn from it, too!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations and great job I can't believe after all that you only wanted 4 of the things on your list!!! That's too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I know, I totally didn't expect that!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on completing the challenge! That must have been pretty hard! I am proud of myself as well - I haven't bought a single beauty-related item for myself in the past month! :)

    Found your blog via it's honorable mention on this week's Monday Beauties Blog Hop! Would love for you to take a peak at my blog! :) x

    natalielovesbeauty.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! That's a great accomplishment for you!!

      Delete
  9. Well done - this is fabulous! Im so happy for you that you completed it!
    I am starting my own spending ban tomorrow for 100 days in an attempt to use up some of the stuff I have bursting out of my cupboards!! Its insane how much stuff I have, yet I have still been buying more.
    I know its going to be hard but I am hoping I can do it!!
    Grace xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can totally do it! Just set your mind to it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate every single one! I try to reply to every comment I get, but if you have something really urgent - email me at aly_wonderlandbeauty7@yahoo.com. Please note that I do not tolerate any mean comments, if you start something, I will finish it! :) And please - no follow for follow comments either, I don't mind if you leave your link, but note that I don't do follow for follow.